A Flagship Facility for All at the Eugene Family YMCA
The new facility will serve as an organization-wide headquarters for the Eugene Family YMCA and provide a home for growing membership.
The Eugene Family YMCA is in its final fundraising push for a new flagship facility, having raised $1.7 million of its final $5 million. The $42 million facility will be constructed starting in July and finishing December 2023, just two blocks from its current facility.
The 74,000-square-foot flagship facility will replace a 1955, 50,000-square-foot facility that has been retrofitted throughout the years, leaving many spaces unusable. The new, open facility will be designed to give the Y the ability to significantly increase the impact of its youth, health and wellness programs in the decades to come, as well as eliminate those inefficient or unusable spaces.
Designed with the capacity to serve its community for many years to come, new facility features include:
- An expanded aquatics center with a six-lane lap pool, family recreation and therapy pool, and a splash pad for toddlers. It will be the place to teach youth safety skills, support rehabilitation and preventative care, offer recreational and competitive swimming and introduce babies and toddlers to the water.
- The Y’s second-story indoor track will feature an open design that allows for the direct view of the games and activities in the gymnasium below. It offers a safe, dry place for health and wellness programming, such as falls prevention and new-mom walking groups.
- Two dedicated youth development rooms will spark creativity, passion and the imagination as the high-tech maker spaces and cutting-edge STEM activities provide the opportunity for learning, tinkering and exploring. These spaces can be relaxing for students to finish homework, enriching as students meet for afterschool clubs or socializing spaces as teenagers or youth play games in the evening.
- The facility will offer two open-design preschool rooms with access to a secure outdoor play area and imaginative playground equipment. As well as two PlayCare rooms for drop-in child care providing age-appropriate, designated spaces that are easily accessible for families seeking quality, safe child care while they focus on their own health and well-being.
- A teaching kitchen will bring the community together in a hands-on, open setting to offer opportunities for individuals and families to gather, cook and learn how to make nourishing, healthy and affordable meals — ultimately improving health and wellness.
- The community room will offer comfy seating arrangements so it’s a perfect place to connect with friends, read a book, play a game, have a snack or study.
- The Health and Wellness Center will boast two large group exercise spaces, a dedicated yoga room, a dedicated spin cycle studio, and an outdoor fitness terrace – a covered, open-air terrace with incredible views of Spencer Butte, a local public park and landmark, and the surrounding parks and open space.
- In addition to the main wellness center with cardio and strength equipment, stretching spaces and adaptive equipment for those with mobility challenges, the entire health and wellness suite will provide flexible spaces to meet changing healthy living needs. The vision for the future includes adding Parkinson’s and Altzheimer’s support programs, falls prevention courses as well as others.
- A second floor multi-purpose room will allow for dedicated space for healthy living classes, such as diabetes prevention, blood pressure self-monitoring and LIVESTRONG at the YMCA for cancer survivors.
- The new Y will be located along city bike paths and have 92 dedicated parking spots for bikes — 46% more bike parking than required under city code.
Additional safety features include:
- A fully, ADA-accessible, flexible floor plan that can change in response to the needs of the community
- The new Y will be built to the highest seismic standards in order to be used as a community center in the event of an emergency.
The Eugene Family YMCA’s vision for the next century of growth starts with the construction of its modern facility, providing the opportunity to expand its umbrella of preventative health and wellness programming, childcare, and a financial support network that serves all. Learn more about the capital campaign here.