Facility of the Month: September 2020
Olathe Community Center
The mission of Olathe Parks and Rec and its recreation division is to create and administer programs to meet the lifelong health and wellness needs of a growing and ever-changing community.
The Olathe Community Center opened in July 2014 and was designed to set the standard of recreation, fitness and community facilities, with the diverse Olathe population in mind. With more than 71,000 square feet, the facility serves 13 age segments, including:
- Three community rooms for meetings and special events
- Catering kitchen
- Two party rooms
- Gymnasium with three multi-purpose sports courts
The fitness floor includes:
- 1/10-mile walking and running track
- Cardio and strength equipment
- 1,700-square-foot aerobics studio
The 12,800-square-foot natatorium features:
- Leisure pool
- Lazy river
- Zero-depth entry
- Lap pool
- Two water slides
- Rock-climbing wall
- Hot tub
The Olathe Community Center offers a variety of membership options for individuals and families. Day passes and punch cards are also available for non-members. Members and guests can participate in swim lessons, group exercise classes, personal training, pickleball on one of the sports courts, or drop-in activities. Community members can rent the community rooms, book a birthday party, or rent the gymnasium for games and practices.
- The Olathe Community Center is situated in a 42-acre community park. The park features a large green space and amphitheater patio for special events, a 4.75-acre fishing pond, and playground. People can also enjoy walking or jogging on the 0.97-mile trail loop.
- In 2019, the Olathe Community Center had a monthly average of 1,957 memberships units, 4,320 members and 41,867 monthly visits.
- In years past, the Olathe Community Center hosted numerous special events such as live outdoor music, community celebrations and Olathe’s first BBQ championship.