Facility of the Month: October 2020
C.W. Avery Family YMCA
To put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.
A bustling community center, the C.W. Avery Family YMCA’s 80,000-square-foot facility is located just west of historic downtown Plainfield. The Y first opened its doors to the community in 2006 and is home to more than 12,000 members.
In the last 14 years, the facility has gone through multiple renovations and now features a family aquatic center, an eight-lane lap pool, a steam room and sauna, a gymnasium with an indoor running track, several multi-purpose rooms, fitness studios, and an outdoor sports complex complete with softball and soccer fields, and an outdoor track.
In 2018, the C.W. Avery Family YMCA opened its new 10,000-square-foot wellness center. Boasting a bold and bright design, the newly renovated fitness space features state-of-the-art cardio and strength training machines, a dedicated personal training space, and a new group exercise studio.
The Cliff and Lois Berglund Family Aquatic Center — also known as the Family Pool around the Y — is Plainfield’s only indoor waterpark. The Family Pool features a zero-depth entry, four waterslides, a splash playground and a water vortex, which is great for swimming and low-impact exercises. With a water temperature of 88 degrees, the Y’s Family Pool is a year-round destination for area families, especially during the cold Chicago winters.
- Thanks to a 20-plus-year partnership with the local consolidated school district, the Y is the exclusive provider of onsite before and after school child care for Plainfield families.
- The C.W. Avery Family YMCA is the home pool for the boys and girls high school swim teams, which is composed of students from Plainfield’s four high schools.
- Each fall, the Y partners with the Plainfield Area Chamber of Commerce to host the village’s official Halloween celebration, which attracts more than 3,000 guests annually.
- Through an innovative partnership with AMITA Saint Joseph Medical Center, members have access to physical therapists onsite at the YMCA.
- More than 30 local youth participate in the YMCA’s award-winning THRIVE dance team.