Episode 3: Health and Wellness in 2023 with Raychel Reilly
Welcome to Community Voices, a platform for voices of the community recreation industry.
In Episode 3 of the Community Rec Magazine Podcast, Raychel Reilly, the chief health and wellness officer at the Kaplen JCC on the Palisades, shares her own health and wellness journey, including the career move she made during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic. She also discusses how health and wellness trends have changed over the last few years and what to keep an eye on in 2023.
What Changed During the Pandemic
- Utilizing small group training intentionally to create sub communities and help foster connections.
- The overall umbrella of wellness, including medical partnerships, mental health, recovery services and looking at the whole person.
- Convenience and technology go hand in hand, and virtual offerings are here to stay. This means no more snow days.
- Inclusive fitness, from gender neutral locker rooms and modifying staff manuals to have more inclusive terms to adding sensory rooms, and more.
What to Expect in 2023
- Small group training and sub communities will continue. The Kaplen JCC on the Palisades is intentionally marketing and creating opportunities in this area. Examples include prenatal and postnatal ‘Mommy and Me’ classes and pickleball groups.
- Under the wellness umbrella, there’s an emphasis on recovery and whole-person health, including medical wellness.
- The Kaplen JCC is also working on an adaptive fitness project – a collaboration between the fitness team and special services team to create a brand new program that will foster connections between members and individuals with special needs all through a wellness lens.